Love Rain

in


It was a gloomy day before rain started hammering the roof. We were all inside the house while great sheets of water were pouring out of dark skies. Everyone seemed speechless and grief spread all over this house. I can see grey aura around them; they were distraught. They tried to comfort me, but tears keep rolling down their cheek. It deepened the hole in my heart and I knew that nothing would ever be the same.

It all started three days ago. I was diagnosed with a rare disease. I’m the only person to be infected in this country throughout this decade. This disease burns up my immunity, nerve cells and so do my will. Local hospitals suggested that treatment was only available abroad so a big sum of money was needed. We can’t even afford that consult so how am I supposed to have the treatment? I felt like the whole world came crashing on me.  Mom cried all day. Her eyes were puffy. She was dehydrated. Sobs raked her body.  No one would be able to cry that hard. She hadn't even cried that hard when her dad died. I felt terrible.

As my disease progressed, I was bedridden. And, there stood by my lovely little sister, Aleeya who stayed beside my bed the whole day, hoping that we can play together as usual. She was not cheerful as always. She asked me every day when will I’ll be able to walk again. I could never answer that question as if a stone is impacted in my throat.

One evening, a doctor paid a routine visit to monitor my conditions. My parents were at work. At the end of the session, Aleeya who stuck with me the whole time, blurted out, ‘’Doctor, when can I play with my brother again?‘’ Calmly and carefully the doctor answered, ‘‘Only miracles can cure him and make him walk again’’.  He then excused himself.

There was a moment of silence, then Aleeya ran to her room. She searched for her knitted wool purse. The one which I gave her on her birthday. She started to count every coins that she had. There were 3 dollars and 90 cent. She grabbed it carefully, putting every coins back into her tiny little purse. It felt heavy and that was the only savings that she had.  

She took a glance out and climbed out through the windows. I tried to stop her but to no avail. It was still raining. Aleeya hold her purse tightly while running through the rain. She was wet. Rain beat upon her head and kissed her. I was jealous of the rain.   

Aleeya made her way to a nearby clinic, dragging her tiny legs throughout the streaks of cold.  The clinic was almost closed. She stared at the clinic for a while and thought it looked better than our humble house. She wiped her wet face and hid behind the door. She was afraid of strangers. A nurse saw her and invited her in. The doctor was there as well.

Nurse: Why are you alone? How can I help you?

Aleeya: I want to buy ‘miracle’

Doctor: [laughing], I’m sorry kid. We don’t have it here.

Aleeya: How much is it? I brought my money along.

And then Aleeya showed them her money. The doctor realized that she was not joking as tears rolled down her cheeks. The doctor drove her to our home. My parents came home from work, surprised. The kind doctor discussed a treatment plan with my parents and he was willing to pay for it. We were speechless. Nothing’s worth more than a hope of life revival. I couldn’t describe my feeling. It was a wonderful night.

Things kept getting better from that day on. I received the treatment and it turned out successful. Now that I’m cured, I still remember that story as if it was yesterday. Aleeya had made my day meaningful since then. She is my soul mate. And I am grateful that I can still kiss her, even more than the rain does!


Author:
Utik

GEN11US is the 11th generation of Malaysian medical students at Kasr El-Ainy School of Medicine, Cairo University in Egypt.

1 comment:

  1. best. lame tak bace stail 'open essay' camnih.
    (y) utik-utik.

    ReplyDelete

Suggestion Box:

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers